By all accounts, today was a good day. I think I'm beginning to integrate with some sort of loose-knit community of alternative lifestyle types. Today has two case-studies to illustrate this point.
1. I went running at the track during my lunch break and met another eccentric: The Philosopher. We were both running without shirts or shoes. We both had shaved heads. He had a tattoo of an enso on his stomach, offset to the side.
"It's the only way to go, huh?" he said, noticing our mutual lack of shoes.
We ran a few laps together and talked about different Buddhist practices, about how he made the mistake of majoring in Philosophy as an undergrad, about the beauty of the Marin Headlands. After a while, he broke off, giving me a pat on the shoulder. The whole exchange just felt really genuine. I couldn't help but smile for a while after that.
2. There's something of a colony of people who walk slack lines by the Campanile, the bell tower on campus. At the base, there's a little grove of trees planted in rows that make them ideal for setting up the lines. During one of my breaks, I stopped by because I knew a couple of people there. I came with a bag a trail mix. I left with some new friends.
Another heart-healthy meal.
04 May 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
WESTERN FOOD. Rainbow Grocery is unimaginably amazing in my mind's eye (from afar too, I guess).
Why was philosophy a poor choice for a major though?
It's almost finals time, but I'm not on starvation rations yet. I have a stockpile of spaghetti for when the time comes.
He didn't really elaborate on why he didn't enjoy majoring in Philosophy. It may have had something to do with putting up with the other Philosophy majors.
There was this disastrous alcoholic philosophy major on my floor this semester. He was hyper intellectually pretentious and was convinced the significant majority else was "stupid," whatever the hell that's supposed to mean. He only talked to me because he presumed I was intelligent by the way I talked, a fact he explicitly told me.
Then again, I had a hard core cog sci TA who told us that the philosophy of mind, things like Nagel's "What is it like to be a Bat?" gave her night terrors as she worried she had no free will and that she was ultimately alone in her subjective experience of the world and etc. etc. I love intense people like that, she was a great TA.
Post a Comment