29 May 2009
Bicycles
I like bicycles. I like the feeling of going somewhere, the purposeful sense of forward motion towards a definite destination. I like the feeling of alertness, the amount of attention I pour into riding the streets, the level of complete absorption of navigating city streets. I like the feeling of my feet against the pedals against the cranks against the bike frame against the tires against the pavement. Especially on a smooth street. I can almost feel the traction of the street against the soles of my feet. I like ducking low on the big hill near my house, my profile as tiny as possible against the wind tearing through my ears. I like standing on my pedals to sprint up block-long hills and coast down the other side as a reward. I like to sit up straight and take my hands off the handlebars on big empty streets. Sometimes I also pump my arms and pretend that I'm running, far faster than I could ever run. I like passing cars stuck in traffic. I like banked turns. I like getting into my toeclips on the first try. I like going into the hardest gear at the start of a flat, and feel the resistance increase on the pedals. I like bicycles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you are now named Bicycle Pon.
Post a Comment