02 February 2010

Day 33

It started as a moustache. Everything else radiated out from there.



I had no idea that I was going to draw a mustachioed man in a drug-induced stupor when I stepped into chemistry laboratory today. I think I originally intended to draw either my chemistry professor Dr. Nitsche, or the philosopher Nietzsche, both of whom wear mustaches. I made an error in the perspective of the drawing, causing our friend to end up on his knees in front of his favorite sitting chair. It's a habit of mine to doodle men sitting in armchairs and holding pipes, and most of them come out so-so in terms of perspective. But this time, that mistake led to the creation of something that I couldn't be more pleased with.

As soon as he was on his knees, it all clicked together: now I had a title for the book on the end table (The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley); now I could explain his vacant stare and dilated pupils; now I could interpret his holding onto the armrests as a drugged man's desperate attempt to clutch onto the reality that is rapidly slipping away.

From there, the embellishments just drew themselves. A drinking vessel, knocked over, it contents pooling on the parquet floor. What poison might this glass contain? A caged bird, quizzical in its unblinking, uncomprehending gaze. Is he a statement about free will, a mere object of the creator's whimsy? He does not know how to trouble himself with such thoughts.

2 comments:

Ramon Solis said...

Why don't you just grow one yourself? My boy Ghandi once put it nicely, "Be the mustache you wish to see in the world."

David said...

Despite having been a dues paying member of the Forestry Club for over a semester now, I still lack any capacity to grow facial hair. Only one other club member has made an attempt at growing Asian facial hair, and it ended in tragedy.