23 January 2010

Day 23

I had my first theatre class on Friday, and I have to admit that I'm pretty pumped for the coming semester of acting. For a long time, I was pretty apprehensive about the whole idea of acting, taking an even puritanical view in thinking that it was a form of fakery or deception. I thought that it would be insincere, fake, and, worst of all, phony, to pretend to be anyone but myself.

I've come a long way since then in terms of how I define "myself." In my Tibetan Buddhism class last year, I even toyed with the idea of tossing out the whole notion of self altogether. I've evolved my definition of self to encompass a wider range of personages and identities, each with an appropriate application depending on my company, the weather, my mood, the alignment of the stars, and so forth. So I'm a whole lot less troubled these days by the fear that I might be that dreaded word: phony.

I'm looking forward to discovering and developing new selves, as well as meeting all of the other interesting sorts of characters in my class.

No comments: