26 June 2010

The Giving Tree

Now that I think about it, the first love story that I ever really appreciated was probably The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. And I don't think I really realized that The Giving Tree was a love story until recently, and a pretty tragic one at that.

Well, if you've read the story, then you know that [WARNING: SPOILER ALERT] the tree keeps giving to this one little boy until there's nothing left but stump. And the boy never does a single thing in return. In fact by the end, the boy (now grown into an old man) still finds a way to exploit the tree: he sits down on the stump.

That last part always infuriated me. I was infuriated mainly at the ungrateful boy, but a little bit of my anger found itself directed at the foolish tree as well.

Well, I'm older now. I think I've come to the point where I can appreciate the Giving Trees and forgive the Little Boys in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts are always so insightful! Thanks for blogging; I enjoy reading what's going on in that mind of yours. haha

David said...

Why thank you very much, Anonymous! I'm quite flattered.